Breaking news: We opened our book store in Hilton NY. Come by and visit us. 109 Lake Ave Hilton NY 585 392-0052
Welcome to the home of Book Jewels Book Store. While we do specialize in children's literature we certainly carry nearly every genre you can think of. We also have several games, toys and movies.
Please search or browse our inventory of books. Click on the categories to the left of your screen and view our item descriptions. If you can't find what you like please fill out our off-line search form and we will search our off-line inventory, other bookstores and book search services for you.
Enlarge Your Child's World!
(Aug. 28, 1915 -June 18, 2008)
Tasha Tudor was born in Boston, Massachusetts as Starling Burgess, the daughter of naval architect W. Starling Burgess ,
known as "the Skipper" and noted portrait painter, Rosamund Tudor. At
birth, she was named after her father, but he was an admirer of the War and Peace character Natasha and his daughter was soon re-christened Natasha. The name was later shortened to Tasha.
When socializing with her mother's friends, Tudor was usually
introduced as "Rosamund Tudor's daughter, Tasha", leading others to
believe that her last name was Tudor. Liking the sound of it, she
adopted the name and eventually changed her surname legally following
her second divorce. She married Thomas McCready in 1938. Tasha and Thomas McCready purchased a large old farm in Webster, New Hampshire, where four children, Bethany, Seth, Thomas, and Efner, were raised. Her first story, Pumpkin Moonshine,
was published in 1938, as a gift for a young niece of her husband. They
were divorced in 1961, and her children legally changed their names
from McCready to Tudor. A later marriage, to Allan John Woods, lasted
only a brief time.
Tasha Tudor illustrated nearly one hundred books, the last being Corgiville Christmas, released in 2003. Several were collaborative works with a New Hampshire friend Mary Mason Campbell. Her son Seth built the replication of friends' New Hampshire house while they lived in Marlboro, Vermont and lived next door with his family. It is documented in Drawn from New England, and in The Private World of Tasha Tudor. Mother and son worked closely on family endeavors.
Books Written and Illustrated
- Pumpkin Moonshine, Oxford
University Press, 1938.
- Alexander the Gander,
Oxford University Press, 1939.
- The County Fair, Oxford
University Press, 1940.
- A Tale for Easter, Walck,
- Snow Before Christmas,
Oxford University Press, 1941.
- Dorcas Porkus, Oxford
University Press, 1942.
- The White Goose, Oxford
University Press, 1943.
- Linsey Woolsey, Oxford
University Press, 1946.
- Thistly B, Oxford University
- The Dollsí Christmas,
Oxford University Press, 1950.
- Amanda and the Bear,
Oxford University Press, 1951.
- Edgar Allan Crow, Oxford
University Press, 1953.
- A is for Annabelle, Walck,
- 1 Is One, Oxford University
- Around the Year, Oxford
University Press, 1957.
- Beckyís Birthday, Viking,
- Bruce, Dana, editor, My Brimful
Book (with others), Platt, 1960.
- Beckyís Christmas, Viking,
- First Delights: A Book About
the Five Senses, Platt, 1966.
- Corgiville Fair, Crowell,
- A Time to Keep: The Tasha
Tudor Book of Holidays, Rand McNally, 1977.
- Tasha Tudorís Sampler,
- An Advent Calendar, Rand
- Tasha Tudorís Favorite Christmas
Carols (with Linda Allen), McKay, 1978.
- Tasha Tudorís Old-Fashioned
Christmas Gifts (with Linda Allen), McKay, 1979.
- A Book of Christmas,
- Rosemary for Remembrance,
Philomel Books, 1981.
- Tasha Tudorís Seasons of
Delight, Philomel Books, 1986.
- Give Us This Day: The Lordís
Prayer, Philomel Books, 1987.
- The Great Corgiville Kidnapping,
Boston, Little Brown, 1997.
Childrenís Books Illustrated
Check out some of the books by Tasha Tudor here
- Mother Goose, Seventy-Seven
Verses, Walck, 1944.
- Andersen, Hans Christian, Fairy
Tales from Hans Christian Andersen, Walck, 1945.
- Stevenson, Robert Louis, A
Childís Garden of Verses, Oxford University Press, 19447.
- Ewing, Juliana Horatia, Jackanapes,
Oxford University Press,, 1947.
- First Prayers, Oxford
University Press, 1952.
- McCready, Thomas Leighton Jr.,Biggity
Bantam, Farrar, 1954.
- McCready, Thomas Leighton Jr.,Pekin
White, Farrar, 1955.
- First Graces, Oxford
University Press, 1955.
- McCready, Thomas Leighton Jr.,Mr.
Stubbs, Ariel Books, 1956.
- McCready, Thomas Leighton Jr.,Increase
Rabbit, Farrar, 1958.
- And It Was So, Westminster
- Clark, Sara Klein, editor, The
Lord Will Love Thee, Westminster Press, 1959.
- McCready, Thomas Leighton Jr.,Adventures
of a Beagle, Farrar, 1959.
- The Tasha Tudor Book of Fairy
Tales, Platt, 1961.
- Godden, Rumer, Dollís House,
- Moore, Clement C., The Night
Before Christmas, St. Onge, 1962.
- Burnett, Frances H., Secret
Garden, Lippincott, 1962.
- Burnett, Frances H., Little
Princess, Lippincott, 1963.
- Alcott, Louisa May Alcott, A
Round Dozen: Stories, Viking, 1963.
- Wings from the Wind: An Anthology
of Poems, Lippincott, 1964.
- Bible, The Twenty-Third Psalm,
St. Onge, 1965.
- Tasha Tudorís Favorite Stories,
- Take Joy! The Tasha Tudor
Christmas Book, Lippincott, 1966.
- Grahame, Kenneth, The Wind
in the Willows, World Publishing, 1966.
- Shute, Henry A., The Real
Diary of a Real Boy, R.R. Smith, 1967.
- More Prayers, Walck,
- First Poems of Childhood,
- Shute, Henry A., Brite and
Fair, Noone House, 1968.
- Campbell, Mary M., New England
Buttíry Shelf Cookbook, World Publishing, 1968.
- Alcott, Louise M., Little
Women, World Publishing, 1969.
- Campbell, Mary M., New England
Buttírey Shelf Almanac, World Publishing, 1970.
- Campbell, Mary M., Betty
Crockerís Kitchen Gardens, Golden Press, 1971.
- Holmes, Efner Tudor, The
Christmas Cat, Crowell, 1976.
- Holmes, Efner Tudor, Amyís
Goose, Crowell, 1977.
- Klimo, Kate, editor, Tasha
Tudorís Bedtime Book, Platt & Munk, 1977.
- Holmes, Efner Tudor, Carrieís
Gift, Collins, 1978.
- Stevenson, Robert Louis, The
Springs of Joy, Rand McNally, 1979.
- Campbell, Mary M., A Basket
of Herbs, New England Unit, 1983.
- All for Love, Philomel
- Dickinson, Emily, A Brighter
Garden, Philomel Books, 1989.
- Holmes, Efner Tudor, Deer
in the Hollow, Philomel Books, 1990.